• December 01, 2015

~Phase 1: Property Purchase/Lease

~Phase 2: Due Diligence Period

~Phase 3: Verification & Development Process


As promised here are some or if not most of the steps in developing land for commercial purposes, residential is less complicated but the following somewhat outlines the  process;


    • ~Property purchase/lease & Due-diligence period: At this time the client should hire an engineering firm. REICO can refer you to a few reputable firms.)

        • ~Environmental review to finalize the land sale or set a base line during lease term. Phase 1 (to review the history of the property and its use and to see if any environmental issues existed in the past). Phase 2 is an Environmental review to ensure that the property (soil and ground water) is not contaminated, either within or from through adjacent properties.


        • ~Zoning verification for intended use, can be done by contacting the by-law or zoning officer at the City. Also, you can request an authorization letter from the city confirming the intended use comply with current zoning by-laws


        • ~Depending on the type of business, you have will need other authorization permits, licenses and approvals (example; Fuel station, storage, bulk stations will require TSSA license & MOE approvals as well)


        • ~If the zoning doesn't comply, you can apply for variance or rezoning, but it can be costly and time consuming depending on current zoning, City and intended use


        • ~If you plan to develop the property, an initial consultation meeting with the city planning dept. to review the preliminary layout, and to obtain city perspectives on services (Hydro, Gas, water, sewer) and storm water management. Especially traffic patterns in-out and around your property. If it’s high volume and close to a major intersection, the city may request a traffic study. Requirements for a development permit and building permits & cost for application process.


        • ~If the property is close to a highway off ramp (in some cases could reach as far as 1-2 km) then you will need to consult with MTO on Highway Corridor  management application. If the property conforms with their scope, you will have to comply with their requirements as well as with the City's municipal requirements.


      • ~If all of the above steps are satisfactory, then the client can waive the lease/purchase due diligence conditions, finalize the land deal, start the development design and applications process, which is outlined below.

        • -Current Topographical survey of the property
        • -Development design permit
        • -Storm water management report
        • -Geotechnical report
        • -Building permit
        • -Construction tender package
        • -Construction management
        • -Engineering conformances certificates
        • -`As build` drawings
        • -Closing building permit and obtaining the Occupancy permit from city

An engineering firm can provide all of the aforementioned services, so all you have to do is contact a company to do the construction.